- This event has passed.
Places We Are From, by Jenni Brandon, Performed by The Three Reeds Duo
February 24, 2022 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Places We Are From, by Jenni Brandon, performed by The Three Reeds Duo at the University of Iowa in the Voxman Music Building Concert Hall – 2101 on February 2, 2022, 7:30 PM. The Voxman Music Building is located at 93 East Burlington Street, Iowa City, IA 52240. The Three Reeds Duo members are Paul Forsyth, saxophone and Leah Forsyth, oboe, with Casey Dierlam Tse, piano.
The Three Reeds Duo
Leah Forsyth, oboe
Paul Forsyth, saxophone
Programs supported by the Elizabeth M. Stanley Fund for the Performing Arts.
Double Soliloquy (2011) Thomas Hundemer (b. 1954)
from the Three Reed Suite
Places We Are From (2021) Jenni Brandon (b. 1977)
- As One
- With Possibility
- Joy and Hope
Casey Dierlam Tse, piano
Six Metamorphoses after Ovid (1951) Benjamin Britten (1913—1976)
Gauntlet (2021) Joshua Burel (b. 1985)
Places We Are From, a new work by Jenni Brandon, explores the idea of identity and where we come from both geographically, physically, and spiritually. This unique exploration is reflected in the make-up of the three different instrumentation options for this work, using these combinations to tell stories of joy, hope, frustration, and perseverance. The colors and combinations in each version reflect a vision of discovering who we are in unprecedented times and finding happiness in the journey.
This work is available in three versions:
- Oboe, Bassoon, Piano
- Oboe, Saxophone, Piano
- Saxophone, Bassoon, Piano
Places We Are From was commissioned by lead commissioners Post-Haste Reed Duo (Sean Fredenburg, Saxophone & Javier Rodriguez, Bassoon) and the Proud Duo (Teodora Pejašinović Proud – Oboe and Joseph Proud – Saxophone). I am grateful to them as well as the members of the commissioning consortium who helped make this piece possible.
Proud Duo: Teodora Pejašinović Proud – Oboe, Joseph Proud – Saxophone
Post-Haste Reed Duo: Sean Fredenburg, Saxophone & Javier Rodriguez, Bassoon
Commissioning Consortium Members
- Eric Troiano, Theresa Delaplain, Tomoko Kashiwagi
- Andrew W. Parker and Midori Samson, Oklahoma State University Double Reeds
- Carol Cope Lowe
- Nathan Koch, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Three Reeds Duo – Paul & Leah Forsyth
- Darrel Hale and the UNT Bassoon Studio
- Jillian Camwell & Dr. Dave Camwell, Troy University
- Baylor Woodwind Faculty: Dr. Michael Jacobson–Saxophone,
Ann Shoemaker –Bassoon, Dr. Euridice Alvarez–Oboe
- Douglas Owens, The University of Tennessee at Martin
- Catherine Rand, The University of Southern Mississippi
This work is also the recipient of the 2021 International Double Reed Society’s “50 for 50” commissioning grant and the Oboe, Bassoon, Piano version was premiered by Teodora Pejašinović Proud – Oboe, Javier Rodriguez – Bassoon, and Kevin Chance – Piano during the 2021 International Double Reed Society 2nd Annual Virtual Symposium.
World Premieres of the 3 version:
- 2021 International Double Reed Society Conference 2nd Virtual Symposium – July 26-31, 2021. This work is the recipient of the IDRS “50 for 50” commissioning grant in celebration of the organization’s 50th anniversary.
Dora Proud – oboe, Javier Rodriquez – bassoon, Kevin Chance – piano
- Performed by the Proud Duo at The National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors (NACWPI) 2021 Conference at the Texas Women’s College in Denton, TX on Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 9:30am CST
- Post-Haste Reed Duo premiered the Soprano Saxophone, Bassoon, Piano version at Linfield University on Monday, November 29, 2021