Soprano Saxophone, Bassoon and Piano version Premiered by Post-Haste Reed Duo (Sean Fredenburg and Javier Rodriguez)
Places We Are From explores the idea of identity and where we come from both geographically, physically, and spiritually. This unique exploration is reflected in the make-up of the 3 different instrumentation performance options for this work: oboe/bassoon/piano, oboe/alto saxophone/piano, soprano saxophone/bassoon/piano. Using these combinations to tell stories of joy, hope, frustration, and perseverance, each instrument has its own individual solo within the work, making each version unique. Allowing the individual voice of the instruments to shine, this creates the possibility of discovering who we are and finding happiness in the journey.
This work is in one movement with titled sections to help tell the story:
I. As One
IV. With Possibility
V. Joy & Hope
Duration approximately 15 minutes
This work is available in three versions:
Places We Are From was commissioned by lead commissioners Post-Haste Reed Duo (Sean Fredenburg, Saxophone & Javier Rodriguez, Bassoon) and the Proud Duo (Teodora Pejašinović Proud – Oboe and Joseph Proud – Saxophone). I am grateful to them as well as the members of the commissioning consortium who helped make this piece possible.
Proud Duo: Teodora Pejašinović Proud – Oboe, Joseph Proud – Saxophone
Post-Haste Reed Duo: Sean Fredenburg, Saxophone & Javier Rodriguez, Bassoon
Commissioning Consortium Members
- Eric Troiano, Theresa Delaplain, Tomoko Kashiwagi
- Andrew W. Parker and Midori Samson, Oklahoma State University Double Reeds
- Carol Cope Lowe
- Nathan Koch, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Three Reeds Duo – Paul & Leah Forsyth
- Darrel Hale and the UNT Bassoon Studio
- Jillian Camwell & Dr. Dave Camwell, Troy University
- Baylor Woodwind Faculty: Dr. Michael Jacobson–Saxophone,
Ann Shoemaker –Bassoon, Dr. Euridice Alvarez–Oboe
- Douglas Owens, The University of Tennessee at Martin
- Catherine Rand, The University of Southern Mississippi
This work is also the recipient of the 2021 International Double Reed Society’s “50 for 50” commissioning grant and the Oboe, Bassoon, Piano version was premiered by Teodora Pejašinović Proud – Oboe, Javier Rodriguez – Bassoon, and Kevin Chance – Piano during the 2021 International Double Reed Society 2nd Annual Virtual Symposium.
World Premieres of the 3 version:
- 2021 International Double Reed Society Conference 2nd Virtual Symposium – July 26-31, 2021. This work is the recipient of the IDRS “50 for 50” commissioning grant in celebration of the organization’s 50th anniversary.
Dora Proud – oboe, Javier Rodriquez – bassoon, Kevin Chance – piano
- Performed by the Proud Duo at The National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors (NACWPI) 2021 Conference at the Texas Women’s College in Denton, TX on Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 9:30am CST
- Post-Haste Reed Duo premiered the Soprano Saxophone, Bassoon, Piano version at Linfield University on Monday, November 29, 2021