Wind Band Consortium – New work by Jenni Brandon
Consortium Opens October 2021 – Summer 2022
Available for performance by Spring 2023
Learn more about the Wind Band Consortium from Jenni Brandon
About MIGRATION: The Story of Birds
Birds across the globe migrate seasonally due to changes in food, weather, or habitat. Many of these birds travel along what is called a “flyway”, or a path used by birds to travel between their winter habitat and breeding grounds. Because of changes to the land and environment due to human activity, these birds often lose their resting grounds along the flyway and, unable to rest and find food, are unable to complete this migration.
Already a dangerous undertaking, the disruption of migratory patterns has led the extinction of breeds of birds.
In this new Grade 4-5 work for wind band we’ll explore the story of North, Central and South American bird migration, using the whole ensemble to paint a picture of these yearly patterns. Within the work we’ll delve deeper into particular birds and the beauty of the geographic locations they cross on the flyways. The importance of the conserving and protecting birds migration paths becomes an important part of this work and reminds us of the ever-shifting changes to our environment.
Dr. Michael Butler – Youngstown State University
Adrian Holton – U.S. Air Force Band & Music Director and Conductor of National Concert Band of America
Jeffrey A. Spenner – Assistant Director of the United States Coast Guard Band
Duration: Approximately 11 minutes
Multiple sections can be performed as a whole or programmed individually.
Work available for programming Spring 2023.
Piccolo, 2 Flutes, 2 Oboes, 3 B-Flat Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, 2 Bassoons, 2 Alto Saxophones, Tenor Sax., Baritone Sax., 3 B-Flat Trumpets, 4 Horns in F, 3 Trombones, Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, 3 Percussion, Timpani
PURCHASE BUY-IN OPTION HERE
Payments made through Paypal.
Please contact Jenni below to arrange other forms of payment.
All members at the $350 buy-in level and above receive the following benefits
- Behind-the-scenes looks at the creation of the new work – Jenni will create regular video vlogs about the creation of the work, from sketching and research, and conversations about the creative process.
- Name of Consortium Institutions and Conductors listed in score and program notes.
- Right of ensemble to list themselves as consortium members giving premiere of work in all programs and announcements.
- A group Zoom meeting with Jenni and the Consortium Directors where conductors and ensemble members can join in on a conversation about the work.
- PDFs of score and parts (hard copies available for an additional fee)
- Short, recorded composer intro about the work to use for performances
$500 – all of the above benefits plus
- Personalized intro about the work by Jenni, specific to the ensemble and institution, to use before the premiere of the work, either recorded, or via live-stream during the concert by the composer
- Exclusive, private 60-minute Zoom event with Jenni and ensemble to talk about the work and all things music-related!
- Yoga For Musicians” 60-minute session for ensemble via Zoom during the 2022-2023 academic year. (This could also be tied into a residency, see below for more information).
Additional opportunities for Jenni to work with ensemble or music program
Jenni is available to create either virtual or in-person residencies that coincide with the premiere of the premiere of the work. This can include pre-concerts talk about the work, workshops with students based on her “Conversations with a Composer” series including talks about developing a collaborative project, the business of music, making connections, and more. She can offer group and private composition lessons to composers and speak to the community about her music. Jenni is also a certified yoga teacher and can offer her “Yoga for Musicians” workshop for your entire department or music community. All are available virtually via Zoom or in-person depending on current situation with Covid.
Please contact Jenni to learn more about these options.
Examples of works by Jenni
Double Concerto for Oboe and Bassoon with Wind Symphony performed by the United States Coast Guard Band, Jeffrey Spenner – Assistant Director
The Wildflower Quintet for Reed Quintet premiered by Kalliope Reed Quintet
CANE: Bassoon Concerto with Reed Quintet performed by Akropolis Reed Quintet with Monica Ellis – solo bassoon
Wood Song for Solo Oboe recorded and premiered by Lindabeth Binkley on the Blue Griffin CD FROM EARTH AND SKY
Great Sand Dunes for Flute and Marimba performed by Iva Ugrcic – flute, Matthew Coley – marimba